Friday, November 18, 2011

TRADITION!

"Because of our Traditions everyone knows who he is, and what God expects him to do."

This has always been a favorite play of mine. Fiddler on the Roof. It's a story about Anetevka. A small Jewish town. One of the themes of the play is Tradition and how it can play a major part in helping us remember who we are, what our purpose is, and who God is. It also shows how breaking traditions can be good or bad.

The Holidays are coming up. Each year I like to take some time to reflect on my traditions. Not only my thanksgiving, christmas, etc. traditions, but also the traditions of each day, week, month, etc. The traditions that have made me who I am.

Some of these more often occuring traditions are things like family scripture study, family prayer, family home evening, attending church meetings, having dinner together. The list goes on. Each one of these things have helped me to become who I am today. Each one seems small and insignificant, yet day by day, week by week they add up to influence my character. I'm so grateful for these traditions that have helped to know who I am and what God expects of me.

But I also like the larger traditions. You know what i'm talking about. The days of preperation and cleaning just for those few hours when the family gets together for that huge feast on Thanksgiving day. The hours and hours of shopping, wrapping, and gifting presents just for those 10 minutes on the morning of December 25th when all that wrapping comes flying off and everyone's all smiles.


I like those.

Some traditions maybe don't even make sense to others. Like at my house, every weekend (either Friday or Saturday night usually) was Nintendo tournament. All the kids and Dad (every once in awhile Mom) would get together for some Super Smashing, Mario Karting, Mini Gaming FUN. Yeah it was pretty awesome. Grab your Wii-mote, pull up a chair (or sit on the floor), grab a snack (but don't get it on the controller!), and get ready for some fun.

"Without our Traditions our lives would be as shaky as a Fiddler on a Roof"

What's a Tradition you have that has made you who you are?

1 comment:

Katrina said...

One of the many traditions that we have that help to make me who I am is that every year we have what we call our 'family olympics'. It varies from year to year as to what that entails (whether it's track and field games, frisbee competitions, or whatever), but it's awesome to see our whole family get together for some recreational activity. Yeah, we have some competition among us, but it's even cooler to see how we work to help each other and build each other up.

Search This Blog